Monday, May 10, 2010

Chapter 6

I took a detour back to the resort so that I could sneak back up to our room to change. My dress was completely muddied in the back, signs of a sure-fire rendezvous on the beach. On my way back down, I saw Heather and Daisy combing the lobby - presumably for me.

"Daisy!" I called out.

She spun around with a frantic look on her face. "Where the hell have you been?!"

"I went to the bathroom, got lost, I'm sorry..."

"For 45 fucking minutes?! Are you kidding me? I was just searching the beach for your dead body!" Heather said through gritted teeth, trying to stay calm.

"I felt sick, and then I went upstairs to lie down-"

"I went upstairs 20 minutes ago. You weren't there," Daisy cut me off.

Thank God I had just missed her.

"And why are you changed? Did you throw up on yourself?"

Bingo!

"Ya, I told you - I felt sick. But i'm better now, don't worry. Where's Lara? " I asked, trying to get the attention off me.

"She's still with Hugh Hefner," Heather replied sarcastically. "We told her to stay there in case you returned. You sure you're alright?"

"Ya, ya. I'm fine. Just needed a breather. Let's get back to the party."

I needed alcohol. I felt horrible about what I'd just done to Rob, and yet, I was more disappointed at not being able to finish with Sidney. I needed to drink my sorrows away.

Heather shrugged and linked her arms with mine. "If you insist."

***

"You sure you want that?" Daisy asked, eyeing my shot of tequila.

She had taken it upon herself to be my watchdog, after I'd said I wasn't feeling well and had let her believe I'd thrown up.

"Ya, Dude," Lara chimed in. "You don't look so good, and we don't want you yakking again. Maybe you should take it easy."

So I looked like crap?

"Hey, I'm acting fine, right? Trust me, guys, I can handle this." And with that, I downed my shot in one gulp.

Within the hour, I was a drunken mess. I could barely stand upright and the tears began to spill uncontrollably.

"Get a grip, Nessa!" Heather exclaimed. "Why are you crying? What is wrong with you today?"

"I...I n-need...t-t-to c-call....Rob," I managed, through sobs.

"I'll take you back to the room," Daisy offered, grabbing my arm.

The other girls remained at the bar as Daisy lead me back. I held her hand the whole way, for support in both the physical and emotional sense. She just didn't know it.

"Want me to stay while you call?" Daisy asked, as she unlocked the door for me.

I shook my head. "I'll be fine, I just need to talk to him."

Daisy furrowed her brows in concern. "Ok, but we'll be right downstairs if you need us. Keep your phone on you."

I wiped my tears and gave her a fake smile. "Thanks, Dais. I'll probably just crash after the phone call. But I'll see you girls in the morning."

Daisy nodded and left the room. I checked the clock above the television. It was only 1am? This was the longest day, ever! I nervously hit the SEND button on my cellphone, the last call tracing back to Rob. My heart pounded with each passing ring.

It finally went to voicemail. I checked the clock again, only to realize that it was Saturday night and that he'd probably gone out with the boys. I breathed a sigh of relief. At least he'd get my missed call, and I didn't have to speak to him while I was an emotional wreck. I shut my phone off and lay my head down on the pillow. My head spun in dizzying circles, so much that I thought I really would vomit. I sat up; I needed to take a walk.

I quickly scribbled a note for the girls and proceeded to head out. Only when I turned the handle and opened the door, a figure was already waiting for me in the door frame. I screamed.







1 comment:

  1. Hmm so that could either be a really good figure, and a really good scream (ie Sid) or a bad, bad sign. Or it could be Rob (hope not). Eitherway I'm eager to see who it is... :)

    ReplyDelete