The night air was buzzing with excitement; bottles were popping, laughter was resonating, and the live band was bumping. I had just finished my third margarita - to go with my 2nd glass of wine - when I spotted Sidney approaching the bar at the far end of the restaurant. A few guys that had walked in with him were dispersing into the crowd, searching for available women to keep them company on the dance floor.
"I feel like dancing!" I suddenly announced, removing the napkin from my lap and rising from my seat.
"One more round, first!" Heather motioned for the waiter to bring us another tray of cocktails.
I shook my head. "Nah, i've had too much already. I'll see you girls on the dance floor," and attempted to slip away but Lara grabbed my arm just in time.
"I'm ready to dance, too. I see a hot guy by the bar, anyway."
I prayed that it wasn't Sidney as she and I approached the dance floor area. Thankfully, she had her eye on an older gentleman, with enough jewelry on him to put Birks to shame.
"Really, Lara?"
"What? He's hot! Kinda like Richard Gere, isn't he?!"
I was about to argue and stop her from approaching the man, when my eyes flickered toward Sidney and we made eye contact.
"Oh! Ya, you know what? He kinda does!" I said with renewed excitement, focusing back on Lara. "And he looks rich, too. Find out if he's staying at the Villas." I hoped she didn't detect my hurry to get rid of her.
"Ok, that's random...? But I can't approach him alone, anyway. I need you as my wing woman. You have to talk to his friend."
I looked back to Sid who was beginning to make his way over. I panicked; I didn't have time to think of a distraction for Lara, so I did the first thing that came to me. I pushed Lara into the man she wanted to meet, blaming it on the guy behind me who was struggling to keep up with his Salsa partner.
"Oh, i'm so sorry!" I apologized to the man, while Lara mouthed 'what the fuck?' to me. "God, it's getting crowded and sweaty in here, eh? I think it's time we got another drink."
I smiled sweetly at the man as he nodded and helped Lara to her feet again.
"Are you ok, pretty lady? What can we get to fix this night for ya?"
Lara shot me a dirty look before turning her pretty face back to him and ordering a Vodka Tonic.
"Order one for me, too," I said, stepping away from the group. "I'll be right back. Ladies room!"
"Hey!" I heard someone shout over the noise.
I looked up to see Sidney holding a glass above his head, indicating that he was on his way over to me. A quick glance over my shoulder to where Lara was standing - she was not paying attention - and I squeezed through the throng of people to reach him first.
"Hey, i was just coming over to meet you."
"Ya, i know. Listen, i'm not really a fan of this music. Wanna take a walk?"
"Um, ok...?"
I lead Sidney out of the canopied restaurant, away from all the people and onto the now deserted beach.
"Is everything ok?" he asked, when I stopped to kick off my heels.
"Huh? Oh ya, sure. Just needed some air."
"That was an open air bar," he laughed, overtaking me.
I couldn't think of anything better as I struggled to keep up with him, my bare feet sinking into the soft, damp sand.
He finally found a spot well away from the hotel, set his beer down in the sand and took a seat next to it. I cringed - my beautiful dress was going to be ruined if I sat down. But I couldn't make any demands to move; I'd already changed our date from dinner to drinks, then took it from the bar to the beach. Any more requests and he would surely leave me.
"So what's the deal?" he asked, as I carefully lowered myself onto the sand next to him.
"I don't get what you mean- ?"
"Avoiding me in public. Blowing me off for dinner, coming out here instead of hanging out at the resort like everyone else..."
I was silent as I tried to think of an explanation. Why hadn't I just told him I knew who he was? At least that way I could have used the excuse that I was avoiding public arenas for his benefit.
"It's a boyfriend, isn't it? You have a boyfriend and you don't want your friends to tattle. Am i right?"
Crap. He was going to think I was a cheat if I admitted to sneaking around because of a boyfriend; but I also couldn't tell him that I knew he was a famous star and I didn't want my friends to get a piece of him, too. That would just label me a crazy fanatic.
When I hesitated, he said, "I think that's kinda hot."
I turned to look at him. Was he serious?
He grinned and took a swig of his beer, turning his head to look back over the water.
"I won't tell him if you won't," he continued. "What he doesn't know won't hurt him, right?" I was still staring at him in silent disbelief. I couldn't believe what he was saying!
He looked back at me and shrugged. "That's my motto, anyway," and downed the rest of his beer.
When I finally managed to find my voice, I asked him if he had a girlfriend.
"Sure, if you can call her that. We're dating but we're both really busy people. She does her own thing for most of the year and vice versa."
I wondered if 'she' was the girl rumoured to be dating him all over the internet - the catalogue model from New York City.
"And she knows you're not in a monogamous relationship?"
He laughed. "It hasn't been said, but it's understood. My job... I'm away on the road a lot. It's hard to touch base with her, and, well... shit happens, I guess."
If I hadn't known better, I would have thought he was a deadbeat trucker. But I had to admit, it was nice to hear him speak candidly about his - and most other hockey players', I'm sure - off-ice behaviour.
"So, I'd just be another one for the books, eh?"
If Sidney had caught on that I was Canadian, he didn't show it. "Who said you made the cut?" he teased, before dodging my playful punch.

No comments:
Post a Comment