Sunday, April 25, 2010

Chapter 3

It took me a moment to regain my composure after Sidney had left me on the path, but I eventually made my way to the pool, where Daisy was sunbathing and Heather and Lara were shamelessly flirting with the bartender at the swim-up counter.

"They know the drinks are included, right?" I asked with a roll of my eyes, settling down next to Daisy.

She removed her sunglasses and cocked an eyebrow. "Do i detect a little jealousy?"

"Of what? A chance to be with that greaseball? No, thank you," I said, my mind wandering back to Sidney Crosby. Now he would be worth the trouble of flirting with...

Daisy laughed. "There are a couple of hotties around...not that you and I will really benefit from that. Still nice to look at, though."

Ugh. It was at times like these that I wished Daisy wasn't so prim-and-proper. I would never cheat on Rob - I had no reason to - but a little flirting never hurt anyone! I knew Daisy, though, and she would be super against anything of the sort.

"Oh, I almost forgot! Jake called me before you got here, said Rob was worried about you because you hadn't touched base yet. I told Jake to pass on the message that we've landed safely, but did you call your boyfriend back yet?"

I slapped my forehead. "Shit! I'll be back... left my phone in the room."

I jogged across the manicured lawns back to the hotel, cursing myself for forgetting about Rob. I never made such careless mistakes... neither of us did, not when it came to each other.

"We meet again."

"Oh!" I gasped, taken by surprise. I clutched my heart. "I didn't even hear you behind me."

Sidney grinned. "Scared you, did I?"

"To death."

"Bet I could make your heart race in a good way, too."

Whaaaa-t? No way - he couldn't have just said what I thought he said. The Sidney Crosby portrayed on TV and every glossy cover across the nation was a complete gentleman...super polished...completely...innocent?

"Sorry, too soon?" He still had a smirk on his face.

"No, just taken by surprise."

"Why? Are you saying I don't look like the type of guy that gets girls?" He pouted, pretending to be hurt.

Oh my God, those lips were going to be the death of me! So luscious, so kissable...

I snapped back to reality. "Oh, um...no, that's not what i meant. It's just that on TV -" Shit! He had no idea I knew who he was. "Um, you know, those lines never work. And i'm just surprised you'd pull such a cheesy one on me." I let out nervous laugh, praying he would buy my explanation.

Thankfully, he did. "Well," he said with a laugh. "I thought that was an original, but if it's cheesy, I'll gladly take suggestions to help my case in the future."

This couldn't be happening. Sidney Crosby was not at my hotel doorstep, asking me to help him with his sex life. I turned the handle to let myself in - then turned back to Sidney.

"Why don't you try the traditional route - date first?"

He pondered the thought for a moment. "Sure, I could do that. It'd be the cheapest date I've ever taken anyone out on, considering we're already at an all-inclusive."

I laughed along with him before realizing what he thought I was implying. He thinks I want to date him first.

"So, how about we meet at 8 downstairs?"

I hesitated before answering. I wanted to have dinner with him, but I didn't want to have to introduce him to my friends, too. Besides, they'd blow my cover and reveal that we all knew who he was.

"Uh...why don't we meet up after dinner? It's our first night, and the girls really want to have dinner together, just the 4 of us..."

"Fair enough," he paused, before continuing. "Post-dinner drinks by the bar, then?"

I couldn't say 'no' twice. "Sure."

"Great, see you tonight." He winked and continued on his way, whistling as he walked.

I entered my hotel room in a daze, forgetting why I had come back up here in the first place. How was I going to sneak off to have drinks with Sidney Crosby without the girls noticing? I'm sure he wouldn't be alone, either, and his friends would want to know if I had friends to introduce them to.

Riiiiiiiiiiing. I jumped up from the bed, surprised by the familiar ring tone. Rob!

"Hello?"

"Where have you been? I've been texting and calling you all morning. I was worried sick!"

I grimaced. "I know, I'm sorry, Sweetheart. I got sick on the plane, and then I rested my head for a bit when we got to the hotel, and after we showered we went down to the pool and I... just lost track of time, I guess. I'm so sorry."

"I'm sorry to hear that you were sick, but I wish you would have called or at least texted me to let me know you were ok. Are you ok? How's your head?"

"Feeling much better, thank you." I leaned back against the headboard, smiling at the thought of my boyfriend waiting for me back home. My boyfriend. I had a boyfriend.

"That's good. Did you eat anything yet?"

"No, but I will. Came back up to get my phone to call you, actually."

"Well, I'm glad I crossed your mind at some point today," he chuckled.

Only every time I was talking to another man I wished I was with, I thought guiltily.

"I miss you."

"I miss you, too. Are you having a good time, though? Get a chance to meet new people yet?"

I bit my lip as I lied to my boyfriend and said 'no'. I could've told him about Sid - he would be excited, really - but that would also mean he'd spread the good news to his buddies, including Jake. Jake would then call Daisy, and soon the girls would all know that Sidney Crosby and his entourage were here at the resort. And I wasn't ready to share yet.

"Ok, well update me again when you have a chance. I have the afternoon shift today, so I'll be free tonight if you decide to call."

"I will."

"Ok. talk to you tonight then. Love you."

"Love you, too."

I waited for Rob to hang up before I let out a huge sigh. Tonight was going to be a mission - dinner with the girls, drinks with Sid, post-party phone call to Rob. I hoped I could pull off all three - but I was really just excited for one.

***
"What are you wearing tonight?" Heather asked, taking over the mirror.

I shrugged, collecting my cosmetics off the bathroom counter. We were back in the hotel after a long day out in the sun: a friendly game of beach volleyball with some of the resort staff, a dip in the pool, and lunch in the open-air restaurant where we met some of the other vacationers; but we never ran into Sidney. That was both a good and bad thing - my girl friends were still clueless about his presence, and yet I wished he had seen my awesome spikes during the game.

"You don't seem very excited. Tell me it's not because you miss your boyfriend!"

Truth was, it had nothing to do with Rob. I was nervous about meeting Sidney later tonight - I mean, who wouldn't be?

"I'm fine, just a little tired. And I'm debating between the black mini and the zebra one-shoulder, if you really want to know."

"Zebra print," Lara cut in, holding up two dresses in front of the full-length. "You're talking about your black tube mini with the ruffled skirt, right?"

I nodded. "It's one of the hottest dresses I own."

"Um, yeah - super hot, but also totally inappropriate for the beach! Who the hell are you trying to impress?"

I turned away from the girls to hide the smirk across my face. If you only knew, I thought.

"Anyway, the zebra print is lighter. Satin-y. Alcohol comes right off it. Go with that one."

Thirty minutes later, I was wearing my short zebra print dress, cinched at the waist by a thick black belt; my sky-high black Steve Maddens; silver bangles and a pair of silver hoops. My hair had been pulled back high into a messy bun, and Heather had helped with the smoky eyeshadow and nude lips.

"Wow," Daisy breathed, taking in my outfit, hair and makeup. "Vanessa, you look stunning! We have to take pics for Rob."

I laughed it off, pretending that I hadn't planned on looking extra hot tonight.

"Group picture, and then let's get this show on the road! I'm starving!" Lara said, jumping into the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment